Monday, November 26, 2012

Sarah's cake: Upload big, then shrink in Picasa

I am trying to see how Blogger uploads photos.  Apparently it automatically uploads the photos full size, which is often a lot bigger than you really want.


When I first uploaded this photo to the blog from iPhoto, it automatically was uploaded to my blog  album on Picasa Web, close to full size, nearly 2MB and about 3600 pixels wide.

Then I resized it in by going to my blog album in Picasa Web, and selecting the photo..  I selected Actions/Edit/Creative Kit.  I selected "Resize" in the editing palette, and shrank it down to 400 pixels wide.  The way this works is that it replaces the photo of the same name with a much smaller file. Now this image is only 22K big!  (about  1/100th) of the original size, and it looks just as good.

This is REALLY strange.  The photo in my Pisa Web album is 22 KB, but when you go to my blog to view it the above photo and right click on it to open it in a new window, it's still huge.  The photo should not even exist anymore!  The big one is not in any album I have in Picasa.

Now I'm going to add the new, shrunken one.


Well, the new shrunken one, really is only 22 K and when you open it up by right clicking, it's nice and  small.

The question, then, is where is the gargantuan one stored?  It's not even in my Picasa album!

To be really safe, I need to shrink things before I add them to the blog. 

Wait, I came back a few hours later, and now when I right click on the top photo it's the same one!  The big one is gone for good!  So maybe you can edit photos down, right in a Picasa blog album without changing the name or re-adding them or anything.




1 comment: